Summers End

I love change. One of the reason I love Michigan is because of the wonderful change of scenery the seasons bring.

Next week school starts and my days will be filled with peace and quiet now that the grandsons won't be coming over everyday. I'm looking forward to having more free time once again.

Over 30 years ago our church bulletin published a prayer that I found so poignant that I've kept it tucked away and read it every year at this time.


I don't know the author, to give them the credit, but I wanted to share it.




At Summer's End - A Mother's Prayer



Well, Lord, it's over. Today is the first day of school, and my brood has just piled out the back door, looking cleaner than they have all summer. Forgive me if my hand shakes slightly as I pour a cup of coffee - I have not yet become accustomed to the morning rush.

Forgive me, Father, For my summer failings; for the times I shouted over unmade beds, grumbled at the ever present array of dirty glasses
waiting to be washed; for the moments I secretly resented the children's loud and constant presence; for the envy over other families jetting off to exciting vacations. Forgive me for the plans that never materialized because "I'm too busy today," the family prayers that went unsaid because "it's just too hot."

And yet, Lord, as always , you sent blessings. Cool lemonade in
late afternoon, more pleasant because it was shared. A garden which yielded not only flowers but vegetables, the taste of summer all winter long. Sunsets, rich and varied, heralding the close of satisfying days.

There were gifts for my spirit too, Father , gifts that only
your summer can bestow. Sons coming home from paper routes tanned and tired, yet wearing the unmistakable aura of emerging manhood. A backyard view of husband and daughter, heads together, solemnly reviewing a passing ant parade . Unexpected guests, and the joy of friendships savored.

Now summer has once again slipped away and I am left in the stillness of my kitchen. I will relish the coming winter in silence, Lord, the chance to
complete a task, to think a peaceful thought. But summer's waning brings the bittersweet awareness of the passage of time, the knowledge that things will never again be the same.

Help me make the most of each new day Lord. Whatever the season, let me be grateful for your gift of life, your ever-present love. Father, thank you once again for summer.




2 comments:

Linds said...

Beautiful, Luanne.

Mindy said...

wow. thanx so much for sharing. perfect end to my day.