Today is Tuesday



Today is Tuesday,do you know what that means?

Click the video to find out.

Before watching I must tell you to enter at your own risk. Anyone who is over 55 will probably be delighted with the nostalgia, but I warn the young uns' - you may find it a bit corny.





Okay so today isn't really Guest Star Day. But it is "Yes to God Tuesday" with Lelia Chealey. Today we discuss chapters ten and eleven of Lysa TerKeursts book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith".


These were two of my favorite chapters so far. In chapter Ten - "Roadblocks and Reassurances", I was squirming in my seat as Lysa told of taking a cup of water to her neighbor as a token of her changed heart.

How many times have I been the first to extend my hand to squelch a feud? Too few, I'm sorry to say. Most times I've waited stubbornly in my own pool of self righteousness, waiting for someone to apologize to me.

I,too, was embattled in a bitter feud with a neighbor a few years ago. Even worse the neighbor was my sister. It involved land that bordered on both of our properties and belonged to my fathers estate. Early on as we discussed how to divide dad's estate we lost our trust in each other, both thinking the other had an ulterior motive. Yet both of us were believing that we were truly bending over backwards to be fair and equitable to all parties.

Each persons sense of fairness is unique to them, and no amount of talking can get both parties to see it the same way.

In Lysa's story of taking the woman the cup of water she says "As I got out of the car and started toward her, I had to will my feet to walk this obedient path." I had to laugh reading Lysa's words because I knew the feeling oh too well....

One afternoon after a long walk conversing with God, I walked up my sisters driveway and apologized to her for the way I'd been acting. I didn't want to do it, infact my mind said Walk Past, but as I neared her driveway my feet felt like they had sandbags attached and my pace slowed, The Holy Spirit insisted that if I wanted any kind of peace I at least needed to make an effort. Oh the strength it took to drag my feet to her door.

I wish I could tell you that it made everything okay, but it was only a bandaid on a broken arm, and a few days later a new situation arose. In my heart I thought I had forgiven my sister and that I had been sincere in asking for her forgiveness, but when this new crop of problems reared its head, I started to wonder. I felt the need to forgive the wrong I felt all over again.

During this time I was amazed at the people God brought into my life that shared their story of not speaking to a family member because of a disagreement over a parents estate. I was beginning to wish my dad hadnt left anything for us to divide. All the stories were wonderful reminders to me to humble myself at all costs. I couldn't bear the thoughts of losing anyone in my family to material possessions. My mother had always said, "If you want something take it now, I don't want you fighting over it when I'm gone."

I tried to use my prayer life and an open line of communication with God as well as my sister, as my armor. I thought if we could keep talking our minds wouldn't be able to percieve things that weren't true, but one last blow up put both my sister and I over the edge, and drove an even deeper wedge in between us.

My brother and I were so frustrated with my sisters lack of communication. We both felt like we were out of the loop and instead of asking our opinion on estate matters, she was confering with her husband. "What is the Holdup" I shouted unkindly one day.

Later that evening on my walk, God asked me to be patient with my sister. "Your sister has never been an executor of an estate. This isn't easy for her, and you are making it much more difficult for her."

I'd never thought of that before. I was demanding speed and perfection from her, and God hadn't equipped her with my idea of perfection and he had His own idea of when was best for everything to be settled. My dad had made her executor for a reason and who was I to argue with his choice. I believe in that moment of revelation my heart truly felt remorse and also felt real forgiveness towards her.

Finally the estate was settled in an agreeable way. We felt like we all had sacrificed a little to gain a lot- namely keeping the family intact. No one felt that they were at a disadvantage.

Only God could have negotiated a settlement like that.

One day after the estate was settled my sister called and asked if she could come over. She hadn't been to see my new home since I had moved. When she walked in the door she asked me to sit at the table because she wanted to talk. She asked to hold my hand and asked me not to say anything til after she had finished. Then she made the most beautiful, heartfelt apology that I have ever received. In that instant we both knew God had healed our hearts. Our family was whole again, perhaps a little worn and weathered from the storm we survived, but safely back on shore.

In Chapter 11, Lysa talks about pain having a purpose. I loved the scripture she quoted - Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

My sister and I were heirs to my fathers estate, but it is our Heavenly Fathers estate that is worth more than all of the estates on earth combined.

Keeping our eyes focused on Christ and our Heavenly home helped us to give and accept forgiveness for our unChristlike behavior and in the end Gods name will be glorified as we share our story.

If you'd like to read what others are saying about this weeks study click here.

But before you go I want to give a shout out to Kelley over at Aroma of Joy for my new blog designs. I'm loving them and I hope you are too. Thanks Kelley.

A post to this post 1-27-09
It's been awhile since I wrote this post. Searching for something else, I reread this post today and I must make some additional comments. After rereading this I can see how it leaves the impression that the fued between my sister and I was her fault. It was not. I have always believed and said that we were mutually at fault and yet just the other day God brought something to my mind that I did that may have been the reason we ever started mistrusting the other in the first place. I now need to pay my sister a visit and ask the same forgiveness.

7 comments:

Jill Beran said...

Luanne,
Thanks for sharing your story. Those estate situations can be no fun and I have watched it tear a loved ones family apart. I too have to agree, these were two very good chapters. Like the last verse you quoted our suffering has a purpose, what a great thought to hold onto.
Blessings, Jill

Laura said...

I have heard so many stories like your own, Luanne. It seems that settling an estate is a tricky business. Bless you for being the one to humble yourself and reach out. Wonderful story. Wonderful study!
Laura

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I should have known that Kelley did this one!! Isn't she just the best? She did mine and I adore paisley so I am very fond of yours-it is so beautiful! she has a talent.
Your insights from this weeks study for some reason brought to mind my neighbor. We are not figthing over land but she was negative towards my child (insulting is a better word) so I have avoided her and have limited my child from going there to play to avoid further problems. I need to pray about this and quit being so offended...OUCH.

In His Graces~Pamela

Dana said...

Oh, my beloved sister...I absolutely adore your new blog design! It is simply spectacular!! It so suits you...
I loved reading your blog today! I can say that I haven't yet reached the season of estate separation as both my parents are still living here on earth! I do not look forward to the day when we must execute the will and possibly be survivors of a similar scenario! I only pray that the Lord work the same for us as he has for you!
So happy that God healed the hurts! What a great physician he is, sister...amen?!

amy & lisa said...

What a touching story. So glad that you both came to the same place in your lives that you could forgive each other.
I had a situation with my sister and after a couple years I felt I needed to apologize, which I did. Today (2 years later)we are still sharing our lives together and it's good, however, the day I realized that I needed to apologize I also realized that even though I try to make things right, she is not going to change in her ways and I need to be ok with that. A few weeks ago, I saw that she indeed hasn't changed, but I HAVE, and I handled the situation so much better than I would have ever done BEFORE I made things right with her. Don't get me wrong..she's a good person, just some stuff that is hard for me to understand about her.
I'm so glad that God leads us into these growth times, even though we wonder about it sometimes.
Blessings,
Lisa

Laurie Ann said...

First, I adore your blog! It's beautiful. And what a great post! These chapters were the best, weren't they? I am so thankful for the healing with your sister. My sister and I haven't spoken in probably 5 years (her choice, not mine) and I pray one day for that healing. I realize your issues were different from mine and she will not allow any communication to take place (not just with me, but the whole family) so I can't take her a cup of water. ARGH! I can in my heart, though. These chapters opened my eyes to the blessings of God that are available to us if we just have faith.

Linds said...

What a beeautiful post, Luanne. Just beautiful, and so many lessons for each of us there too.