Obedience

Okay again this week I am a day late and a dollar short. Does the expression Better Late than never buy me any mercy at all?

Today is Yes to God Tuesday with Lelia Chealey. This week were discussing chapters eight and nine in Lysa TerKeursts book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith." For this post I'd like to focus on chapter nine "A Most Unlikely Path". Lysa tells us that the longer we walk with God the more easily we hear his voice and trust His instructions.


Tonight was a backyard get together or our widows group First Tea @ Five. It was just a little over 4 years ago that God put the idea of this widows group on my heart. My first thought was "Cool, that sounds like a good idea I'll have to think more about it"


A few weeks later while I was searching for an answer to unanswered prayer I turned to the index in the back of my NIV Life Application Study Bible and looked up the word prayer in the notes section.
Under prayer I saw a title which read... “Why God May Not Be Answering Your Prayer” There was a reference to 1Samuel 28:15 “I am in great distress,” Saul said. “The Philistines are fighting against me, and God has turned away from me. He no longer answers me, either by prophets or by dreams.”

The notes explained “God did not answer Saul because Saul had not followed his previous directions. Sometimes people wonder why their prayers are not answered, But if they don’t fulfill the responsibilities God has already given them they should not be surprised when he does not give further guidance.”

I couldn’t help but think of how God had put the idea of a widows group on my heart earlier, and how I hadn’t done anything about it.



With confirmation like that you'd think I would have jumped right on it. But it took two more reminders before I finally got in gear. One of the first things I did was go visit a woman named Shirley. Shirley was the mom of my very best high school friend . I was over at her house as much as I was at my own home. She became my second mom.


Shirley had been widowed for several years, and on top of widowhood, she was suffering from the effects of a stroke. She wasn’t comfortable driving any longer and many of the things she had loved to do in the past were extremely difficult, if not impossible, for her to do now; things that could possibly aid her in her grieving process.

When I arrived at her house I gave her a big hug, sat down and asked if she would be willing to answer a few questions. After sharing some insight with her about my ideas for the group, I told her how important it was to get as much insight as I could from women in different age groups as well as in different lengths and stages of grief and widowhood.

“Loneliness, Shirley began, is the number one thing that bothers me. When you’re first widowed you have a stream of people that come and offer support. At the time, you’re too numb to appreciate it. But it’s after, when the numbness wears off, that you’re left with the void, and by that time everyone else has resumed daily life. I’m just plain lonely.”

Leaving her home that day, I promised myself that I was going to make it a point to visit regularly.


It took 8 months of planning before the widows group was up and running. Two months into the process I left for Florida, and my friend and mentor MS agreed to step forward and see the plans to fruition.



MS made me promise to come back for the kick off event. Hurricanes, snowstorms or wild horses couldn't have kept me away.

At the end of Chapter nine, #2, Lysa T says " As we learn to listen for God's voice, the next step is to obey His voice." She gives scriptures verses that show us when God speaks he expects us to obey and then she goes on to say that "Gods word gives us many examples of how we will miss out on the many blessings He has in store for us if we do not obey. Many times for a number of reasons we ignore Gods voice.

True to my promise I flew up for the kickoff event. What a blessing it was to be able to see what obedience to God looked like.



I was so glad I had listened to God's voice instead of listening to the voices that told me "what makes you think you have what it takes to organize a support group. You have the worlds worst follow thru."



When only 10 women showed up for the event I began to think the voices had been correct, and we had failed God. But as the night wore on the comraderie grew so strong that it became evident that these 10 women were handpicked. God's idea of success was not the same as my own had been.


I was disappointed that Shirley hadn't felt well enough to make it to our meeting, since she had been such an inspiration. The next morning God laid her so heavily on my heart that I knew without a doubt that it was important to get over to see her before I left.



I went right to the kitchen and decided to make a Key Lime Pie and take it to her that afternoon. I was missing an ingredient. Needless to say things got in the way of my plans that day and by the end of my stay I let too many things get in the way of following Gods direction and missed going to see her.

I fussed all the way to the airport about my disobedience. God was really letting me wallow in my guilt.
I kept remembering the words I had heard at Bible Study a few weeks before.

My bible study teacher had emphasized a that when we hear Gods voice its imparitive that we respond immediately. Depending on what God is telling us to do, we may or may not sin by not responding, but we may miss out on a blessing God wishes to bestow. (The same advice Lysa gives in her book, however, at the time I didn't know the woman Lysa TerKeurst even existed. )


So often I find God asking me to put my money where my mouth is.
The plane ride back to Florida was one of those times.
Seated on the plane I kept asking God to forgive me, and telling him how sorry I was for not getting over to see Shirley.



I'm thinking God probably called a few of his saints over and said "Lets see how sorry she truly is". Because no sooner had the last I'm sorry left my mouth when God popped another task down in front of me..... It's a great story and I'll tell you all about it over at God Spots.

But before you go let me finish this one.

I had been back in Florida less than 3 weeks when I recieved a phone call at work telling me that Shirley had suffered another stroke and had died. I was stunned.

I wasn't able to fly back for her funeral and now I can see clearly why God had so strongly asked me to stop and see her.

I missed an opportunity to say a final goodbye to a wonderful friend. The blessing would have been mine for the taking if only I had obeyed.

But one of the joys of obedience I mentioned earlier in the post, was the backyard gathering of my wonderful group.

Tonight we welcomed 4 new widows into our ranks, and soon we will have quintupled in size from our very first meeting. God's hand is so evident in our endeavor to honor him by serving the women who's hearts are so near and dear to his own. He so loves these precious women called widows.

Our Hostess tonight, CT offered her pond incase anyone wanted to fish.

AC took her up on it. After a few casts AC's pole ended up in the pond, but CT came to the rescue.




Afterwards AC had sucess.


Unfortunately AC didn't know the pond was strictly "Catch and Release" She had visions of a fish fry floating in her mind. But CT was a good sport and let her keep them because after all were all "Sisters" and thats the kind of thing Sisters do.



Thank you Lord, for the help you give me to walk in obedience. I know I have a long way to go but with every step I take in your direction the closer I feel to you.

Help me to remember the blessings you have given and keep me ever mindful of the blessings I have missed when I've failed to walk obediently. I love you Lord.

8 comments:

Jill Beran said...

I enjoy reading your thoughts. Your words about not listening made me think of the saying, "Delayed obedience leads to delayed instruction." Why should God direct us when we haven't followed the directions He's already given? As a former school teacher that makes perfect sense, but I'm sorry to say my life doesn't always reflect an understanding of the idea. Thanks for the wonderful reminders to walk in faith and keep listening - sounds like you have a wonderful thing going, I'm sure God is honored with your obedience.

Leaon Mary said...

Hi,
Your group sounds just wonderful.
I'm really sorry about Shirley. :(
My heart hurt reading this.
I understand too, when you know God is telling ya something and you wait too long and miss an opportunity. I've done that over and over. One time in particular I am remembering but don't want to take up all your space here. -- Thankfully, He understands, and loves us, and IS the God of second chances.
I love the last picture you have up here. SO SWEET.
Lea
<*)))><

amy & lisa said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.
I truly am being blessed by this study. It seems to be such perfect timing for this study. I'm trying to guide my daughter and help her to not get discouraged along the way. This study has helped alot.
I enjoyed reading your recent post...lots of honest thoughts you are sharing. Thank You.

The bathroom...ya, what a deal. My dear friend wants photos posted so maybe tomorrow I'll get to that.

Lisa

Yolanda said...

Luanne,

The naming of your group tugs on my heart!

We are all needed in the body of Christ, and you are blessing these women with the chance to be needed and valued.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I so enjoyed yout thoughts this morning. I have been encouarged for a new step I feel God calling me to take. I feel God stirring my heart to get the wives of the leadership team together each month to pray for our husbands (and each other)as they meet and plan for the church we seve in. I am in the beginning phases of this, talked with the pastor which he appreciated the idea...now I have to get these wives to buy into this. Be in prayer for me here. I know it is from God and not from me. Thank you!

In His Graces~Pamela

Unknown said...

You are just so sweet!!! Thank you for the testimony of your story. Several years back, around Christmastime, I thought about calling my grandmother in Michigan to ask her for a recipe. Then I thought "No, I won't bother her. I'll be calling her in just a few days to wish her a very Merry Christmas." Just a day or two later, on December 23rd, my dad called to tell me that my grandmother had passed away. Visitation was on Christmas day with burial on the 26th. I was devastated that I didn't call her. It was a wake up call to me to listen to the Holy Spirit's nudges.

Thanks for the reminder to keep listening to His promptings.

Prayers and blessings my sweet friend,
Rebecca

LynnSC said...

Wow!! What a great post!! I, too, know the unsettled feeling of disobedience when God tells me to do something. I am really sorry about your friend Shirley...

I started a Bible study group over at my house last year. I invited all of the women that I WANTED to come... but only two of them came. I was so sad... thought maybe I hadn't heard God right. But as one of them invited another... and I invited someone from Sunday School... our little group grew to a huge number of 4. BUT... in God's great wisdom... they were the exact 4 that He wanted there. One of them got saved and the other has started reading her Bible for the VERY first time. Awesome. God's plan was so much better than mine.

I can't wait to continue this study... I am loving it.
Lynn

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What a wonderful ministry you've begun for these women! Thank you for your obedience in tending to the voice within.

When we moved here 4 years ago, I collected a few elderly women and began having a lunch date with them every Tuesday. It stuck. We're into our 5th year of meeting for lunch on Tuesdays at the local pizza haunt. They expect us now. Sometimes we have 5 or 6, but on a good day, at least a dozen.

Most are widowed and very lonely, so if any of us miss a week, we feel like we've missed a great deal. We've learned to schedule dr.'s visits, etc. , around our Tuesday lunches.

I wouldn't trade my Tuesdays for anything! They teach me so much about life, and I think they rather like having me as their student!

Thanks, Luanne, for visiting my blog. I really appreciate your comments.

peace~elaine